This desk is part of the "Compass" series designed by Jean Prouvé in 1953. The tables owes its name to the fine metal legs that recall the opening of the branches of a compass. The desk was designed for the Headquarters of the CEA (Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique) in Marcoule, in Southern France. It presents the original blue metal frame with the laminated yellow wooden top.
Centre d'Etude Atomique, Marcoule, Gard, France
Bibliography / Similar model in : - SULZER, Jean Prouvé Vol 3: 1944-1954, Birkhäusser, 2005, p.268-269 - Jean Prouvé concepteur constructeur, Pen Magazine, 2012, p.88-89